Project Planning

Knowledge Area Definition

The process of developing sufficient strategic information so owners can address risk and make decisions to commit resources to maximize project success. Project Planning is often synonymous with front end planning (FEP), front end engineering design (FEED), front end loading (FEL), pre-project planning (PPP), feasibility analysis, programming and conceptual planning.

Value Proposition

Front End Planning (FEP) is a CII Best Practice and research priority that helps project team members work better together with more alignment. CII has conducted FEP research for over 24 years, from 10 Research Teams with approximately 50 publications. The cost of FEP is typically 2-5% of total installed cost resulting in; a) $3-$10 payback for every dollar spent on FEP, b) 6-25% cost savings and c) 6-30% schedule reduction. FEP lays the foundation for predictable and efficient project delivery, helping organizations meet their business drivers. The CII front-end planning tools are indispensable in assisting you through this process. For a more complete overview of FEP research, refer to Special Publication 268-3, Adding Value Through Front End Planning, published in 2012. This publication describes the process and management actions necessary to improve front end planning.

The fundamental value of FEP is to answer 3 basic questions:

  1. Are you building the right project to meet the business objective(s)?
  2. Have you successfully scoped out the right project details to reduce risk with a path forward for efficient design?
  3. Have you reached alignment on the execution plan and method for design and construction?

This Integrated Knowledge Summary and associated Topic Summaries will provide an easy-to-use overview of available research and tools, techniques, processes and tips that will that will help you succeed in your planning efforts.

Topic Summaries

Show Only:
Sort by: